In therapy, the fit between client and therapist is crucial, and this is one way of helping you decide if I’m the right practitioner for you.
If there is one thing I stand for as a psychologist, it’s that I approach any new client (or couple) with as few pre-conceived notions as possible. Each person is complex, unique, and special –- and I treat them as such. As a result, I tailor my approach to therapy to meet the needs of any given individual or couple. In my experience, “one-size-fits-all” solutions are a myth.
Moreover, regardless of the presenting concern, each person deserves to be treated with dignity and respect. I believe that no one is perfect, and that all of us, sooner or later, will face problems and issues. But just as we make allowances for ordinary human frailty, we must also make room for new possibilities in our lives. Above all else, therapy is about finding ways to bridge the gap between where you are and where you'd like to be.
My therapy style tends to be insight-oriented, active, and practical. We’ll seek insight in your problems, but we’ll never lose sight of the need to translate those insights into practical actions. I might also add that in my view therapy isn’t just about feeling better, it’s about getting better.
- Practice is confined to adults (18 - 80).
- Office has non-medical feel.
- On any given year, practice comes close to being evenly split between men and women.
- Hours by appointment only.
- Solo practitioner. Well-established in community.
- Individual counseling and therapy
- Couple counseling
- On-line therapy
- Supervision / consultation (for therapists)
Problems I help people with
- Anxiety problems (panic attacks, excessive worry, social anxiety)
- Distressed relationship or marriage (frequent arguments, loss of connection)
- Recovery from infidelity
- Adjustment to divorce
- Unresolved grief
- Post-traumatic reactions to stress
- Midlife crisis
- Maladaptive personality issues (e.g., feeling "not good enough")
- Recovery from difficult childhood
- Recovery from childhood sexual abuse
Specific Therapy Approaches
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Schema Therapy
To ask questions or schedule an appointment, call me at (616) 218-8059.
If you reach my voicemail during business hours, I may be in session. Leave a message and I'll return your call as soon as soon as time permits (usually same day unless the call comes in after hours or on weekends).